Thursday, May 04, 2006

Still Alive and Flailing


Sorry about the delay guys but as work increases everything else seems to decrease. Which actually is i think going to be the theme of this piece. I am sure there have been many other trail-blazing-graduating-seniors-who-also-regret-a-liberal-arts-degree who have complained about this strange phase of entering into a "workforce" so hopefully im not just regurgitating whats already been said.

But this perspective i think needs to be explored a bit more. Adam screwed up and God's punishment to him was not only a spiritual death in loss of fellowship with infinite God, or promised physical death at some undisclosed point in the future, but on top of that a toiling the soil just to get by and suffice living. (Ladies got the blessing of pain in childbirth so i say lets call it even and move on)

But the latter punishment doesn't trump the first one, in fact it might make the first punishment that much worse. Not being able to find the same type of satisfaction in his work as he found in walking with God must have been the most frustrating thing for Adam to do. I imagine regret was something Adam was very fond of.

But how this plays into my own situation seems a bit different but altogether somewhat similar. God has ordained that we work in order to make ends me period. Even trust fund babies like Billy Madison have to had someone work at some point in time to cover their leisurely lifestyle. I can go into this dreaded reality knowing it won't provide me the same satisfaction that a dynamic infinite bride-bridegroom relationship can, but that still doesn't answer the question what should i do with my time?

In some sense anything i do that isn't sin is permissible. But i dont want my life to just be "permissible". If you guys haven't seen the Invisible Children documentary i insist you stop reading this and check it out at invisiblechildren.com. What i love about this film is that college-students not middle-aged crises corvette driving men, or desperate housewives but college kids who got a degree in something meaningless like me went on a trip to find substantial rich 2 scoops full of meaning. They came back with a terrible story of genocide, abduction, and child molestation but ITS REALITY. It's not country-club pretension, or mcdonalds, its real sufffering and real needs being met.

Dare i say there can and needs to be a natural flow between the substantial meaning i find fundamentally in Christ and the way it makes itself out into my own occupation? Should i get stoned for saying that?

(Open to Career Suggestions like a fat kid is open to the possibility that he is just big boned..no really give me a job)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Dude said...

I think you should go to L'Abri...

just my 2 cents

peace

8:53 AM  
Blogger Broun Stacy said...

i thinking and praying about it pal. I got a final on tues and then its serious think time. I just hope im not putting my hope in L'abri and not God to be the agent of transformation

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home