Saturday, May 27, 2006

Privacy Please


I am figuring out that a fundamental woe of the american lifestyle, (as evidenced in my own life), is a demand of privacy at all and any cost. We are unsettled by phone-tapping, the patriot act, etc bc it gets to the core of what we demand as americans : privacy.

Think about it.. we even have gone so far as to demand, even on something as etheral as the internet, a section cut out called MY space (.com). This Space is supposed to be so distinct and seperate as to encapsulate everything that is different and unique about me relative to you.

I think this perceive right that we will defend at all cost is at the very least contrary to the efforts of the gospel to bring us to a place of transparency in every corner of our lives. One of my favorite quotes, is from a great dutch theologian named Abraham Kuyper..."There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is sovereign over all, does not cry: Mine!"

This is all relevant to me because having a new roomate this summer he has the type of personality that desires to know where i am and where i am going at all times of the day. Now he isn't OCD about it but he simply desires the truth. And there are times, more often than not, that i want to tell him anything but. It brushes up against me to have someone know that much about me, to know my whereabouts and be accountable to them at all times. He/she might really find out how i dont't honor God with all my time, and then rightly call me into question.

I'm not arguing for some systematic time-sheet that God keeps us to but i wonder if some of the arguments behind this right (who came up with this as a right anyways) are just masks of pretension?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home